The Siren Song of the Couch

    So, I spent 10 hours in front of the TV yesterday. I'd just gotten home from lifting and I was sore and kind of just -done- with everything, y'know? I started binging a trashy fitness reality show and ended up watching the whole season. The stuff they do to inject pointless drama in those things is really crazy! 

    Here's what happened: the couch can be like a glue trap. You get comfy, and all of a sudden getting your butt off that big, fluffy cushion starts to sound daunting. I was still dressed in my workout clothes, my feet and pits totally stunk, but did I get up? Noooo. I needed to see if my favorite contestant was going to win her endurance challenge and break up with her girlfriend...and then that episode left on a cliffhanger, so one more episode, right? And then the muscle soreness started to kick in, and I sunk into the couch like a jellyfish that got washed up on the beach! 

    So there I was, smelling like a gym locker, my butt forming a groove in the cushion. I was starting to get hungry, but the couch had me, so I cheated and ordered a heap of Chinese food. Delivery, of course. By the time it got to my place, it was hard to even cross over to the door! Then there I was, mindlessly slurping away at lo mein noodles and popping dumplings into my mouth, not even keeping track of the pile of greasy calories I was putting into my body. I stick to a protein-heavy diet six days a week, and I was breaking all the rules scarfing back all those carbs! How many calories did I eat last night? 2000? 3000? I don't wanna know, but my stomach is gurgling right now to remind me I did. But hey, I had to watch to the end of the season now that I was six episodes in, right? I ended up falling asleep on the couch and woke up a stinky, stomach-achey gal.

     What I'm trying to say is that good habits are fragile! We all slip up, myself very much included, but the important thing is trying to resist that first burst of temptation before it gets a hold on you. That's especially true if you're like me and tend to focus really hard on stuff, because that will apply to everything in your life, not just the healthy stuff! Figure out what your glue traps are and start avoiding them before you get stuck!

    I'm off to undo some of the damage at the gym. Love you all, have a great one!




Comments

  1. Dang girl, sounds like you’ve had it pretty rough that day, huh?

    Did you enjoy yourself? You sound like you did a little, despite it all lol. It makes me wonder if you’ll ever do it again. Chinese sounds really, really good right about now actually.

    And you’re so right btw. Non of us are perfect, and not letting that bring you down is really important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're wondering if I'll ever do something like this again, check out my new post...I totally slipped up on my cheat day and now I'm stuck taking the day off while I let all this bloating settle!

      That doesn't mean I'm giving up on myself; that's the whole point, you've got to rally and keep going no matter what your fitness setbacks are!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Resolutions, Tough Choices, and Body Issues

Uncertainty, Self-Acceptance, and Companionship

Okay, let's try this for real!